Shed Plans
Check out the Magazine "Family Handyman" It seems every year they have a new shed plan. http://www.familyhandyman.com/sheds/tips...d/view-all  I like some of the more recent ones. I Keep looking at mine, which of course is too small at 8' x 10' it was based on a plan in "Workbench Magazine". Should have heeded, my friend who helped me build it and made it 12' x 12'or 14'. The reason I built my own was to have a door tall enough that I could stand in. I'm 6' 4", all the factory ones are for short people.
Smirk Dan
those family handyman sheds do look really nice.  The one article they had was about building a tool locker into the shed.  I was thinking about adding a little locker to the outside of my shed, but building it inside the shed looks like a winner, no extra roof.
You can probably find permit info on your local gov't web-site. I need another shed and I'm allowed to build 60sq ft without a permit, either on a skid or a foundation.. That's a broom closet. It was all on their website.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

http://www.mybackyardplans.com/storagesheds.php

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

In most towns of upstate NY, the permit depends on the size of the shed. I think my town was 10'x12' or 12'x14'.

Still, my shed was double that size so I needed a permit. I drafted up a set of plans, elevations and a wall section for my our building inspector and he approved it on the spot. Helps that he was a neighbor at one time.

As I mentioned, my shed is more of a "pole barn" for cold storage and has sliding doors across the front. Simple metal, gable roof with trusses that I built in my garage.
Definitely check your local building codes. Mine says I can go as big as 320 sq ft without a permit. Unless it has electric or plumbing of course.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Thanks for the links and ideas. 

I called the building department yesterday.  I was shocked to find out that I can build pretty much anything, of any size, as long as it's at least 100 ft from the road and 5' from the property line.  The permit fee is $20 up to 200 ft^2 and only a few cents/ft^2 above that.  I also can set it on a permanent foundation if I choose to w/o further permitting requirements.  So now I'm really enthused about this.  Getting all the wood out of my basement shop is going to be a huge gain.  Getting more wood, as well as machines and tools, out of my garage will be equally nice. 

Let the real planning begin.

John
cool beans!! im thinkin with what i read ya don't have much framing experience? if that's the case, id suggest reading up on framing techniques- the hows and whys of how  and why things are done.
 when the time comes, it might be wise to start a build thread here and you can gain help on construction techniques along the way.
You're right, I don't have much framing experience beyond home remodeling and deck building.  But I'm an engineer and can read and follow directions so I think I'll be OK.  I do have a book on house framing and a couple more with sheds, etc.   If I end up designing the shed myself I'll be sure to put it up here for review and comments.  Thanks for your offer of assistance.

John
If you do decide to design your own and wanted some place to start for a reference, I would email the drawings for my shed that you can modify as you wish. As noted above, it is more of a pole barn with board and batten siding, but is weather tight enough to store my mowers, tractors, and toys.

Bonus is that they are in AutoCAD as well if you wanted.