Cast Iron Maintenance Day....
(01-17-2017, 05:06 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: I keep wanting to build a float table. Maybe in my next shop. Lots of holes and ball bearings on light springs. There are commercial parts but I could easily build one.
I have two commercial float tables in my shop..they were take-offs from industrial machines.  Have never gotten them dialed in right so I use..wait for it..

..Johnsons paste wax.

-Mark
If I had a signature, this wouldn't be it.
(01-17-2017, 11:05 AM)JGrout Wrote: I am a bit surprised that over all the years you have been here you never ran across a Wax it and it will be better thread. 

It is so simple and takes but a few minutes to accomplish and the can of Johnson's paste wax will likely outlast you
Wink 

Wipe it on let it dry wipe on once more the first time and buff it out. 

You will think you are working on a rocket after . 

When things get balky again wipe on another coat. 

And once a year like Dave I will clean off the entire top and start over. 

Joe

I do have a can of Johnsons out there in the shop. It's cracked and dried some. Perhaps I lie. I may have used it many moons ago, but that is beyond my memory.  Perhaps I didn't like the feel of the wood racing through the cut and catching me off guard.?
Uhoh

I really have little problems pushing material through the blades and bits but maybe it's time to give it a try, but if my material shoots across the room, and I fall over ..................!  
Laugh
back when I first started out and was poor I used paraffin block used for sealing jelly jars 

It worked just as good, just a bit slower 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I remember the poor days.
I had made a homemade wood lathe. Used that thing for many years.
I seem to be in the minority, using Minwax paste wax.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
(01-25-2017, 09:49 AM)Pirate Wrote: I seem to be in the minority, using Minwax paste wax.

only in name
Wink

Smile
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

You inspired me to get after cleaning my table saws. I have pieces of 1/4" plywood that I put under items that I am gluing up and so the glue drips onto them and I don't need to worry about the glue. For when I finish I just use the other side of the sheets for under my finishing projects. Well, these sheets have quite a number of glue pimples on them. One day I set one of the pieces glue pimple side down on my dado table saw. A few days later I lifted the sheet and found that each glue pimple had rusted the table saw top.  
Slap 

So the other day I went and started to clean up the top and get rid of those spots. They are deep and are taking a bit of elbow grease to get rid of them.

[Image: Ii5ZY4V3iZ_GZrgTTteZatJta9MHOSvrNWikkl2e...87-h914-no]
I use 1/3 paraffin wax, 1/3 beeswax, 1/3 boiled linseed oil.
Warm to melt and mix in a jar lid.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Another "maintenance day" in my shop is "threads day". A couple of times a year I spend an hour or 2 cleaning and oiling threads such as clamps and vises. Makes them smooth and pleasant to use. I keep a tub of white grease with a brush in it as well as a couple of oil cans and a can of spray white grease. I'm an old school oil can guy.
I've been using Slip-IT for several years now on the TS, BS and all cast iron surfaces. I haven't had a spot of rust for all these years.

It was recommended by Norm Abrams way back when!
George

if it ain't broke, you're not tryin'
Quando omni flunkus, moritati.
Red Green