Slot cutting splinter free
I don't get tear-out as long as I have a backer behind the molding.  It will have to fit tightly against the molding, and it effectively becomes a "zero clearance" plate.

I don't know what the profile of the molding is, so it is hard to give solid advice on how to make this happen.

I have had poor results using just masking tape, but perhaps several layers will do the trick.  Or a layer of tape with a glob of hardened wood putty.  The putty would provide the zero clearance and the tape will make removal easy.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Thanks to you all.I contacted the technical manager at Freud with my question. Told him I wanted to cut a 1/4" slot centered in one face of a 3/4" by 3/4" board. I have not decided on a depth. He told me for a clean, crisp, splinter free slot a down spiral is the best possible bit. He cautioned me to not try to "hog" material out. He advised cut  to a depth of no more than one-half of the bit diameter. He told me to make multiple passes for deeper slots. This helped me. I hope it helps you, also.
(08-31-2017, 08:45 PM)moses1945 Wrote: Thanks to you all.I contacted the technical manager at Freud with my question. Told him I wanted to cut a 1/4" slot centered in one face of a 3/4" by 3/4" board. I have not decided on a depth. He told me for a clean, crisp, splinter free slot a down spiral is the best possible bit. He cautioned me to not try to "hog" material out. He advised cut  to a depth of no more than one-half of the bit diameter. He told me to make multiple passes for deeper slots. This helped me. I hope it helps you, also.

If it is 3/4" x 3/4" board, then I would cut the slots in 3/4" x 8" board and then rip the pieces from that.  The ripped pieces (assuming you are using a good rip blade) will have no splinters or tear-out.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(08-29-2017, 05:11 PM)moses1945 Wrote: It will be for a bathroom sink cabinet door(s). Moulding will be 1/2  to 3/4 square. Slots will be from 1/8 to 1/4 wide, centered and approx. 1/4 deep.  They will be facing the viewer. I have not drawn plans yet. I need to establish the best method to get clean, crisp slots. This is all I need to know right now. Thanks.

cut all the slots in a wide piece of stock then rip to final widths the only place you will have waste is the exit cut in the wider  stock 

it will also give you the most accurate slot locations as they are all cut in one operation 

JME
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(08-30-2017, 10:23 AM)Dave Diaman Wrote: I have a whole bunch of spiral down cut 1/8" bits. If you want me to send you a couple shoot me a PM and I will drop a few in the mail. The other option I would suggest which will be faster is to use a high quality table saw blade along with a zero clearance insert and cut the slots on the table saw. If you apply some blue tape over the area to be cut this will add another layer of protection from tear out.

Plus guaranteed to be straight without a lot of measuring, or using jigs. Fence as a guide only issue is how to make a stop cut, Need to do that carefully or you may be having a wood sammich. Ends could be done with a drill bit to round them nicely.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
+1 use the tablesaw
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020