Overpriced new plane on ebay
Have you seen the Bostitch air-powered mortiser and dovetail cutter...awesome.
Winkgrin
(09-17-2017, 05:02 AM)Herb G Wrote: You hit the nail on the head. The FEDS caught a ring a few years back.
They were selling stuff like a $2 Yo-Yo for $6500 or some such nonsense.
I remember seeing a black light poster from the 1970's selling for $35,000
It was drug related money laundering.

My daughter works for an agency who tracks these sales and the money when possible. Some are simply incorrect pricing and the seller didn't notice. Some are money laundering. Most are products that don't even exist, being sold from hacked accounts. The money is sent all over the world. Russia, Nigeria, middle east and being used to fund all sorts of wonderful things. It's usually the higher priced products though, cars, motorcycles, Jewelry etc.

If words like "escrow" or "my agent" are used in an ebay add, it's an automatic flag. If the seller is "stationed overseas", it's an automatic flag.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(09-22-2017, 06:46 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: My daughter works for an agency who tracks these sales and the money when possible. Some are simply incorrect pricing and the seller didn't notice. Some are money laundering. Most are products that don't even exist, being sold from hacked accounts. The money is sent all over the world. Russia, Nigeria, middle east and being used to fund all sorts of wonderful things. It's usually the higher priced products though, cars, motorcycles, Jewelry etc.

If words like "escrow" or "my agent" are used in an ebay add, it's an automatic flag. If the seller is "stationed overseas", it's an automatic flag.
I have seen a few auctions that are the reverse -  a Buy it now price that is 10% of the normal ebay price, with free shipping on the item that weighs about 30 pounds -  and those I assume the product doesn't exist or the it is a hacked account and the seller is trying to find a buyer who is hoping to get a steal, but ends up ripped off.
(09-22-2017, 05:39 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: I have seen a few auctions that are the reverse -  a Buy it now price that is 10% of the normal ebay price, with free shipping on the item that weighs about 30 pounds -  and those I assume the product doesn't exist or the it is a hacked account and the seller is trying to find a buyer who is hoping to get a steal, but ends up ripped off.

That makes perfect sense. They also copy previous sales ads. My ebay and PayPal account was hacked. They allegedly used it to purchase several cases of Vape Cartridges. The money was sent to the Vape Cartridge seller (in the UK) who was probably also the same person who hacked the account. There probably never was any Vape Cartridges. Ebay told me it was a copy of a previous ad. Fortunately, only one credit card was involved. I get an email to my phone every time more than $5 is charged to any of my cards or deposited in my accounts. It's kind of a pain but I do know quickly if something is happening.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay