Pecan Live Edge Slab Dining Table
Beautiful table! I've never worked with Pecan but several comments indicate it's tough to work with. What makes sit so tough?
Excellent work. Really excellent.

Do you have a good source for live edge slabs? I'm in Austin and always on the lookout.
Grain can be stringy, varied hardness, can get you a lot of tearout I've found it works better with VERY sharp tools, cutters, blades, and knives, and a bigger project may have you resharpening a LOT. Identification of True Hickories versus Pecan Hickories is the first step often a difficult one. I find it much harder to determine than White versus Red Oak, which stumps a lot of people. I think the Pecans are easier than the Hickories to work with, but being absolutely sure is often difficult.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Beautiful work, Danny!
Yes

The ebonized base will make the top stand out in a huge way....

Well done!
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(11-07-2017, 08:02 PM)JokerRN Wrote: Excellent work. Really excellent.

Do you have a good source for live edge slabs? I'm in Austin and always on the lookout.

http://www.swiftriverpecans.com/

Swift River Pecans near San Marcos, ask for Troy.  Great prices, awesome lumber.  The website is not impressive but his lumber is first rate.  Troy is a retired jet engine turbine blade manufacturing plant manager so he has the smarts to dry big slabs correctly.  While you are there you can pick up some of the best testing pecans in the world, serious, his pecans have won numerous state blue ribbons. 

He also has a 15kW "router" with a 5 inch bit to flatten the slabs for a small fee.  The slab in the Youtube is my slab.

https://youtu.be/0uDomWygpqE
Texans often gripe about no wood selection, but 2 true marvels of the wood world are found there in pretty good quantity.

Pecan, and Mesquite, both can be tough to tame though. Having a good dealer who can dry the wood, and get it ready to work are a big bonus.

Some impressive slabs on that website
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Lookin good Danny.
Cool
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020