Walt
(12-16-2017, 04:25 PM)RoundToit Wrote: I was driving by the exit I would take to go to Walt's store. Many a time I would stop in and enjoy our discussions. I also was thinking it's a good thing he didn't see the day Trump was elected. Although it would have added to the discussions.

I sure wish we hadn't dragged politics into this discussion.  That kind of stuff belongs in the Off Topic Forum.  Let's remember Walt for what he added to the hand tool community, and leave it at that.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(12-16-2017, 06:18 PM)Admiral Wrote: LOL, very true . I know I wish I didn't, he's a disgrace to the office and an embarrassment to our country.  Walt likely rolled a few times..... he had a big heart.

Your opinion is of zero interest to me -- keep it to yourself in the future.
(12-17-2017, 02:03 AM)Joe Bailey Wrote: Your opinion is of zero interest to me -- keep it to yourself in the future.

Sorry, that I offended you, post deleted.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
End of May 2005 I drove over to his shop. I know it was May '05 because I still had the 20 day temp plate on my new truck. Man there was a lot of stairs heading up to his shop. After looking over everything we had lunch outside in the parking lot sitting on the tail gate, nice sunny day.  He kept bringing 'goodies' over to me from his car. There was a tool store right down the street I'd visit also.
Both Walt and John Lucas of Woodshop Demos, were extremely generous to a relatively noob.
RIP Gentlemen
I remember that I couldn't wait until Monday's to see what Walt found on his rust hunts.
(12-17-2017, 08:35 AM)Admiral Wrote: Sorry, that I offended you, post deleted.

I want to take a minute to both thank and commend Admiral for his class and civility; the latter of which, is in particularly short supply on forums such as this one.

Moreover, upon re-reading my comment, I would like to offer him my own apology -- I could have worded things better.
(12-17-2017, 06:24 PM)Joe Bailey Wrote: I want to take a minute to both thank and commend Admiral for his class and civility; the latter of which, is in particularly short supply on forums such as this one.

Moreover, upon re-reading my comment, I would like to offer him my own apology -- I could have worded things better.

No problem, is all good.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(12-16-2017, 09:36 PM)AHill Wrote: I sure wish we hadn't dragged politics into this discussion.  That kind of stuff belongs in the Off Topic Forum.  Let's remember Walt for what he added to the hand tool community, and leave it at that.

I was just expressing the thoughts I had as I was driving by on the highway. I didn't think of it as a political statement and only expressed it as a memory of Walt. I think of Walt for who he was, not just a tool purveyor.  I had no need to post it, just thought that it might bring up some fond memories for others.
I am a little surprised by the reactions, I guess it never occurred to me, and do apologize if I stepped outside the bounds of this part of the forum.
"You can't always get what you want"
I met up with Walt and many other New Englander woodworkers here, D’Elia Antique Tool Museum. Great place for old Stanley Bailey hand plane fanatics
Walt walked through and pointed out all the planes, the time lines, features etc.
Outside he asked me over to his car and handed me a #1 very, very nice example. Then he brings out another #1 but this one was new and still in the box!
I too miss his Monday morning rust hunt posts and the way he would hide a song title or famous lyric in the title of his posts!