Which Snowblower?
(01-13-2018, 01:27 PM)glzahn Wrote: I inherited an MTD snow blower from my father back in '99 and it finally shot craps last winter.  I did my research and ended up buying a Troy Built 28", 345cc snow blower.  It's a beast!!!!!  I love the heated handles, electric start, directional throwing adjustments, etc.  It was on sale for $900 at Lowes, they offer 10% off for military members.  I live in MN and we get plenty of snow.  TORO is built here in Mpls. and I wouldn't give you a bent nickel for one.  My aunt owned a single stage and even after careful summer storage she'd have to take it to the local store for a tuneup.

Someone will have to explain to me the difference between the Troy Built and the Tory, since the are both manufactured by MTD and I am sure many of the parts are exactly the same.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(01-13-2018, 01:53 PM)Cecil Wrote: Someone will have to explain to me the difference between the Troy Built and the Tory, since the are both manufactured by MTD and I am sure many of the parts are exactly the same.

Do you mean Toro?  Troy Built is an MTD product and Toro build their own
(01-13-2018, 01:27 PM)glzahn Wrote: I inherited an MTD snow blower from my father back in '99 and it finally shot craps last winter.

Coincidentally, the Sears I gave my Dad 25 years ago (he passed away 13 years ago) sat dormant in my mother's garage until I took it home a month ago.  I actually got it going, but the rod knock made it sound like a diesel.  I just got finished clearing my FIL's driveway with it and it threw the rod on the last pass, poking a hole in the side.  My ears are still warming up and my pant legs are wet as I post this.  
Laugh

Gotta find an engine for that machine (same as mine - 5 hp Tecumseh Snow King), as I'm just getting too old to shovel his driveway all winter.  
Sad

Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(01-13-2018, 11:33 AM)TDKPE Wrote: Do try to horse it around in the store.  You mentioned a bad arm - if you can't turn it around at almost 200 lb machine weight, you have a problem.  You CAN, however, remove the drive pin (like a tractor pin) from one wheel and reinsert it into the end of the axle for one-wheel drive, and that will make it waaay easier to turn.  No horsing it around.  Try that in the store.  If the driveway is fairly flat and you get adequate traction with one wheel driving, that may be the way to go.

More expensive ones have power steering, but I've never used one, and I would imagine they're much more money.
My Husqvarna has a trigger for each wheel.  It's connected to the drive pin and by pulling the trigger, you pull the pin out, disengaging the drive to that wheel.  It's on a spring mechanism such that releasing the trigger allows the pin to return to the axle and the wheel is again powered.  This gives both positive traction and the ability to steer by pulling the pins and re-engaging them on the go.  I think it's fairly standard on larger, modern snowblowers.  It works pretty well and I would certainly recommend that anyone buying a new SB today get this feature.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(01-13-2018, 02:55 PM)fixtureman Wrote: Do you mean Toro?  Troy Built is an MTD product and Toro build their own

Yes.  I am sure I wrote Toro and it was auto-corrected. 

It is my understanding that they outsourced manufacturing to MTD about 10 years ago.  Is that not correct?
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I bought the Compact 24 on Saturday they will deliver it on Wednesday----currently -4 with 40 mph winds--snow we got last night is deep in my driveway--so little old Craftsman rubber bladed non self driving blower will be put to the test again.
Hoping when I get new one I never have to use it!!

Vicki
(01-06-2018, 07:40 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: The 27" Husky could handle that.

Mel

I live 15 miles west of King of Prussia, PA.  I use a Honda Tracked 2 stage snow blower to clear 50 ft driveway and connect paths to clean OFF my 10Kw solar Panel arrays and paths to my woodsheds.
The hond is great, it has a hydrostatic drive and fuel shut off to run it dry when don.
Damed
Cool alcohol in Gas!
You got a bunch of great advice.

I would add one more to the list and my preferences:
1 - Simplicity - Oldest snow blower manufacturer in the country. I have a 14hp that throws snow a country mile.
2 - Ariens - They never die as long as you give them love along the way. My first Ariens was a used 1959 model and it is still running
3 - Toro - Great machine - great brand

One of the most important things is to avoid the big box store machines whenever you can. The machines at the local dealer are better made and they service what they sell. I also am a strong believer in supporting the small businesses in my area.

Best of luck ....
PJ
Plympton, MA
Thanks for all the great feedback .
While I was still googling models and reviews, my wife had to go to HD to pick something up for her aunt and tomorrow ....
We pick up the Toro Power Max 824oe.
At least it gets good reviews online.
He who hesitates accepts what his wife pick out?
Glad you got a new blower. You realize you will get no more snow this winter, right?