Norm
(10-15-2018, 01:17 PM)Admiral Wrote: Some might find this interesting, a listing of all the tools Norm used over 20 episodes, indexed to the episodes where it was used:

http://www.normstools.com/index.shtml

Wow. The site owner must be a die-hard fan!

Simon
(10-15-2018, 04:00 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: Wow. The site owner must be a die-hard fan!

Simon

Yeah, and with a lot of time on his hands, but that's ok, he certainly was motivated.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(10-15-2018, 11:23 AM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: The safer ways (in addition to using a router)  to cut blind slots on a sheet include:

- using a jig saw against a batten clamped to the sheet
- using a circular saw against a batten clamped to the sheet (or better a plunge saw and track with the anti-kick back feature)
- using a tablesaw, but not dropping the sheet onto its blade -- position the sheet in place against the fence and raise the blade to cut through the sheet and PUSH to cut.

These methods have existed all along whether the router method became common or not.

Simon

Laugh
Laugh  A jigsaw to cut stopped dado's/slots. Now you'll have to convince me by showing how you do that trick.

Laugh
Laugh  No way am I going to spend the time resetting a batten 8-9 times to use  a skilsaw cutting a 3/4 wide blind, stopped dado. That is pure silliness.

Laugh
Laugh  How many table saws have blade height gauges on them. You cover the dado head, and need to make a stopped dado 1/2" deep. Where do you stop raising the dado head?

More and more I've quit posting in these threads because they all turn into safety threads.

Sorry, but I've cut my blind dado's in sheet stock and lumber since learning in HS in the 60's.
I'll continue doing it this way, or use a plunge router if necessary.

Big Grin
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-15-2018, 06:22 PM)Stwood_ Wrote:
Laugh
Laugh  A jigsaw to cut stopped dado's/slots. Now you'll have to convince me by showing how you do that trick.

Laugh
Laugh  No way am I going to spend the time resetting a batten 8-9 times to use  a skilsaw cutting a 3/4 wide blind, stopped dado. That is pure silliness.

Laugh
Laugh  How many table saws have blade height gauges on them. You cover the dado head, and need to make a stopped dado 1/2" deep. Where do you stop raising the dado head?

Big Grin

Who said dados???
Confused
Confused
Confused

"For example, he cut a blind slot on a plywood by dropping the sheet on a spinning blade, and he even pulled (not pushed) the sheet back a little as the blade was going -- all this on his Delta saw which was not equipped with a riving knife or splitter."

A blind slot is a stopped slot, not a dado.

Simon
The only difference is the width of cut. Blind slot, blind dado. Same procedure on the table saw.
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(10-15-2018, 07:49 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: The only difference is the width of cut. Blind slot, blind dado. Same procedure on the table saw.

A slot is a groove cut through the wood (faces); a dado is a groove cut across the board, usually half the thickness of the board deep.

In any case, Norm's method of cutting a slot through a board by lowering the board onto a raised blade spinning at full speed is unsafe.  No one would drop an insert into a spinning blade to make a zero clearance insert plate, but instead would clamp the plate down and raise the blade instead. The same principle for cutting a slot on a sheet.

Simon
Ok. You watched him do a through slot, not a blind slot. 2 different things.

Sure, raising the blade up through the material after its in place is safer, I agree.
Is his way or your way quicker? Doubtful either is quicker or better.
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

A blind slot where neither end is cut through.

A slot is always through, otherwise it is a groove.

Still, dropping a board onto a spinning blade which you said is how you cut a slot is UNSAFE! Period.

Simon
You win. Another thread turned safety
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

It is a win-win for everyone when we discuss about shop safety, whether or not everyone agrees on the details.

Simon