Stanley Block Plane .... Which ... one ...
(12-27-2019, 12:21 AM)Mike in kc Wrote: A 60 1/2 is a good little plane to use and does ok on end grain as well.  I have an old one and a modern one.    The modern one can't hold a candle to the older version so far as workmanship is concerned.

[Image: P1010002-L.jpg]
I notice you have magic fingers and can use the new version of the 60-1/2. Maybe, my solution is to get the old model. Even the elevated front knob was bothersome.
(12-27-2019, 10:22 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I notice you have magic fingers and can use the new version of the 60-1/2. Maybe, my solution is to get the old model. Even the elevated front knob was bothersome.

My woodworking club has one of the new 60-1/2 planes.  I hate it.
(12-27-2019, 10:22 AM)hbmcc Wrote: I notice you have magic fingers and can use the new version of the 60-1/2. Maybe, my solution is to get the old model. Even the elevated front knob was bothersome.

The vintage 60/60-1/2 is a great tool.  I've never used the newer design; no reason to.
(12-30-2019, 03:33 PM)Bill_Houghton Wrote: The vintage 60/60-1/2 is a great tool.  I've never used the newer design; no reason to.

In that case I will keep my eyes open for a vintage 60-1/2.  Which may be redundant as I am strongly leaning to keeping the dx60. 

It's really frustrating to judge everything against an old cobbled-together pile of parts that my hands found comfortable and learned to like. If it weren't for the knowledge that the thing could fall apart at any time, I'd never bother with a backup block.
(12-31-2019, 11:50 AM)hbmcc Wrote: In that case I will keep my eyes open for a vintage 60-1/2.  Which may be redundant as I am strongly leaning to keeping the dx60. 

It's really frustrating to judge everything against an old cobbled-together pile of parts that my hands found comfortable and learned to like. If it weren't for the knowledge that the thing could fall apart at any time, I'd never bother with a backup block.

Tools are quite personal things, but the DX60 is a very fine plane, you won't regret keeping it.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Hmmm, I have one of the Cordovian 60-1/2 block planes in the shop...it happened to hop off my bench the other day, and hit the concrete floor....picked it up, no damage, put it back to work.    It did not fall apart....wasn't even loosened up.....seems the only difference between the two planes I have and a Vintage 60-1/2....older ones a re black, mine is a maroon colour.   Must have mine set up right?
Rolleyes
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(12-31-2019, 11:50 AM)hbmcc Wrote: In that case I will keep my eyes open for a vintage 60-1/2.  Which may be redundant as I am strongly leaning to keeping the dx60. 

I have both.  You won’t regret keeping the DX60 and you will love a vintage Stanley.

I also have an ECE block plane given to me by a good friend, which is why I keep it, not because it’s a decent plane, because, IMHO, it’s not.
Someone posted a couple vintage blocks on the S&S--I was late to the game--which prompted me to go to the Bay. And, there was a 65. Decent looking. For $40. And, people are bidding on ugly 65s for $41, plus. I gave up looking for a 65 under $75 a while back. No peek into the guts, so I expect needing a blade. Did I say I am full of paranoia about the Bay?

I'm sure I will regret my decision. $60 total with delivery and criminal sales taxes that only benefit rich people.

If ... it doesn't work for me you folks will see it in S&S. If it does work, I will have a really tough choice keeping the dx60. I already have an LN 102 toy and the dx60 is a lot like that. But then, I only have three total blocks (too many) now and most of you folks have at least that many of a single type/series.

The block plane saga is not over until it's over.
Crazy
I think the LV pixies want me to keep the Dx60. I just filed a "Where is my #65 Block Plane Request" through the Bay. I am pretty sure I was screwed intentionally. On the 25th will ask eBay to enter the dispute. And contact VISA. I have 30 days to file with them. 

Then, no more eBay.
(01-20-2020, 12:34 PM)hbmcc Wrote: I think the LV pixies want me to keep the Dx60. I just filed a "Where is my #65 Block Plane Request" through the Bay. I am pretty sure I was screwed intentionally. On the 25th will ask eBay to enter the dispute. And contact VISA. I have 30 days to file with them. 

Then, no more eBay.

The 65 used to be the most coveted plane here...still is tops with some......a little larger but has the best grip...to me anyway....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset