4-1/2" length, 1/2" diameter upcut bit source?
So you are going to clamp it to the hexagon over the angle sided grooves the legs fit into on each side of the hex? How big is this hexagon center piece? Alll those mortice ends will be running into each other if they are very long unless the hex center is larger in diameter than the one pictured?  You will have very little glue surface left unless I am picturing this wrong. 
Also keep in mind a 4 or 5 inch long 1/2 bit puts a lot of stress on a router which can lead to vibration or bit breakage or just not straight sided mortices.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(06-11-2023, 12:46 PM)KyleD Wrote: So you are going to clamp it to the hexagon over the angle sided grooves the legs fit into on each side of the hex? How big is this hexagon center piece? Alll those mortice ends will be running into each other if they are very long unless the hex center is larger in diameter than the one pictured?  You will have very little glue surface left unless I am picturing this wrong. 
Also keep in mind a 4 or 5 inch long 1/2 bit puts a lot of stress on a router which can lead to vibration or bit breakage or just not straight sided mortices.

The center column will start as a 5" square piece; plenty thick enough for 1-1/2" mortices inside without interfering with each other.  The mortices will be cut into it and then the corners will be cut off to create the octagon shape.

Yes, I'm aware of the risk of vibrations and stress, which is why each pass on the mortices will be 1/4" deep.
Semper fi,
Brad

I am still having trouble with why you have to reach so deep into the mortice. But that is ok, I look forward to watching your project on youtube. I have no doubt it will be made clear. Good luck with your venture! Please let us know when you post on youtube.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(06-11-2023, 02:17 PM)KyleD Wrote: I am still having trouble with why you have to reach so deep into the mortice. But that is ok, I look forward to watching your project on youtube. I have no doubt it will be made clear. Good luck with your venture! Please let us know when you post on youtube.

I just want to be sure I have good, strong glue surface contact.  The top is 60" diameter, so it's fairly heavy.  I prefer over building when I can--I don't want these joints to fail!
Semper fi,
Brad

Did you find the bit at Amana 
Confused
(06-11-2023, 07:02 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Did you find the bit at Amana 
Confused

No, I bought it from a vendor on Amazon prior to asking this question; it's a 5" bit and I thought it was too long before I realized I could raise the router motor in the base. 

It's the Bosch MR23-something; I initially thought it was fixed in the plunge case in only one position.
Semper fi,
Brad

How does this piece get from your place to theirs once you're finished?
(06-14-2023, 12:02 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: How does this piece get from your place to theirs once you're finished?

I'll delivery it; they live about an hour and a half from my home.
Semper fi,
Brad

(06-11-2023, 02:17 PM)KyleD Wrote: I am still having trouble with why you have to reach so deep into the mortice. But that is ok, I look forward to watching your project on youtube. I have no doubt it will be made clear. Good luck with your venture! Please let us know when you post on youtube.

+1.

Mac, do you have a YouTube channel?  post the link man!
You are frequently puzzled by things you tell us you fully understand. - Bob10 to EH 9/22/16

Too much has been made out of my mostly idle comments  - Cletus 12/9/15

You sound like one of those survivalist, hoarder, tin foil hat, militia, clinger, wackjobs.  - Fear Monger 1/30/13
(06-09-2023, 06:03 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I can find lots of 4" bits (too short) and lots of 5" bits (too long) but cannot find a 4-1/2" or a 4-3/4" bit.

Can anybody help?

In the future if you find you need to shorten a router bit look for tool grinding shops that service machine shops. They will be able to do this and create plunge cutting edges if you specify that.
There is no such thing as too much horsepower, free lunch or spare change ~ anonymous

87% of people say their mental health is good to excellent. The rest are sane enough to know they are lying. ~ anonymous