How do I square one end of this blank?
12" CMS--What's not to like about that?

Gary
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
(06-16-2023, 10:04 PM)iclark Wrote: I have no idea what "band saw turned legs" are.

I scratched my head at that too. But assumed its where you bandsaw a profile, tape the offcut back on, turn it 90 degrees and bandsaw a profile on the next face..... like how you make cabriole legs using a bandsaw

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(06-16-2023, 11:38 PM)EdL Wrote: Put it on the DeWalt 16" ras and cut it...

Ed

Huh?

(06-17-2023, 12:47 AM)iclark Wrote: How did I miss that on his tools list? That would work.

You didn't.  I don't have one.
Semper fi,
Brad

(06-16-2023, 10:04 PM)iclark Wrote: I have no idea what "band saw turned legs" are.

My first thought is that you are making legs that are larger in diameter at points along the height of the leg than they are at the top (where you want them square).

If that is the case, then a rip hand saw might be your best bet.

If you do it on a BS, the best solution that I have seen is to use one or more hand screw clamps (tips rubbing on the BS table) to stabilize the blank and make sure that it does not catch and spin.

Watch this:

https://youtu.be/BO_ZeLQslNE
Semper fi,
Brad

I take it you just want to prepare the square ends before you start shaping on the bandsaw.

Your glue-up is less than 6” roughly square.
Joint two faces, plane, rip, crosscut on chopsaw.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(06-17-2023, 11:45 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Watch this:

https://youtu.be/BO_ZeLQslNE

6:50 of the video is exactly what I suggested. Cut it off on the bandsaw. Did you miss that in the video?

Once Favre hangs it up though, it years of cellar dwelling for the Pack. (Geoff 12-18-07)  

(06-16-2023, 09:20 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: I do have a bandsaw.  But I didn't even think to consider it.   It's a Delta 14".  Can it cut a good, square end on a blank?  I've never tried it. 

I thought about rolling the blank 90* after each pass across the table saw, lining up the kerf on the blade but wanted other thoughts first.

My Delta 14" cuts square. easy to check- cut a kerf in something with parallel sides then flip it and cut a kerf right next to it. any deviation will by half of what you see.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
Joint one side flat.  Now plane the opposite side so you have two parallel sides.

Put one machined side against the fence on the PM66.  Raise the blade up to just over halfway ( 3" ? ) and make a pass.  Now flip the board over to put the other machined surface against the fence and make another pass on the table saw.  If you did everything correctly, then in theory, the passes should be true to each other.  

Otherwise, a temporary support on the right side of the bandsaw, preferably with the use of a fence against the wooden leg, on a slow, steady pass through the bandsaw.
Current 12" SCMS...............
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

The Bosch won't cut all the way through, short by about an inch. 

I was able to cut and rotate and get it close enough, leaving just a small corner uncut.  I hit it with my router plane to clean up.
Semper fi,
Brad