Electrical box question (was damaged)
Why is it your issue?
Why doesn’t the neighbor call the utility company?

—-
I should learn to read! Missed the key word in the OP.
Gary

Please don’t quote the trolls.
Liberty, Freedom and Individual Responsibility
Say what you'll do and do what you say.
(07-04-2023, 10:40 AM)Gary G™ Wrote: Why is it your issue?
Why doesn’t the neighbor call the utility company?

The company that hit it should call the power co but if they don't and the meter box is damaged internally which may not be found until meter is pulled then it is all on the owner and the company denies hitting it later.    I say to call the power co and have them check it out.   Roly
Locally, the power company installs the feed to the weatherhead. The HO owns everything from the wires out of the weatherhead into the house. The neighbors contractor is responsible for replacing the damaged equipment, but the power company has to remove the meter for repairs and reinstall after repairs.

The HO should coordinate with the neighbor. If the neighbor/contractor does not cooperate, calling the power company to get an expert ruling on the required repair is the next step. Then contact the HOs home owners insurance company and let them deal with the solution.

Is that a PITA having to do all that if the neighbor/contractor refuses? Sure, but suing the contractor will cost them a lot more than them just fixing the damage.
Bug 
(07-02-2023, 05:06 PM)blackhat Wrote: Tell your neighbour that you are contacting the power company and reporting a damaged meter base caused by her contractor. Normal business hours, call it in to the power company’s trouble call number. They may ask for an email report including pictures. It’s definitely not a panic situation but get it sorted quickly so you don’t end up on the hook for it.

This ^^
Power co. needs to know first as it's their meter and box.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-04-2023, 06:34 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: This ^^
Power co. needs to know first as it's their meter and box.

Their meter but your box.     Roly
Thanks for the help everyone.  Power Company said that for our location the meter itself is their responsibility, but the box that it sits in is the homeowners.  So I'll have an electrician look at it (since I know the box is damaged), and if they find anything wrong with the meter then we will pull in the Power Co.

Regards,
Mark

Bug 
(07-04-2023, 07:35 PM)Roly Wrote: Their meter but your box.     Roly

"Here", not your place apparently, the power co controls the meter box.
No one is to pull that meter besides them. And that goes for the box. It's a meter box, which they do not want anyone removing/installing a meter box.
And, I don't think anyone around here even sells a meter box.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(07-07-2023, 05:54 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: "Here", not your place apparently, the power co controls the meter box.
No one is to pull that meter besides them. And that goes for the box. It's a meter box, which they do not want anyone removing/installing a meter box.

Guess it varies on location, I replaced my meter box/socket with one I purchased off the shelf at Home Depot. Pulled the permit, called Dominion Power they came out and dropped the service and pulled their meter and drove away. I did all my work and then called them to come back and restore my service and that's when I got my surprise, they would not reconnect until they received the call from the inspector saying all was good. We ended up spending just one night without power before all was reconnected and back up and running.
(07-07-2023, 05:54 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: "Here", not your place apparently, the power co controls the meter box.

What utility serves your area ?     Yes the power company controls access to the meter box as there are unmetered connections in that box.    Around my area common meter cans are at all Lowes , Home Depot, etc others at supply houses.   The electrician installs the meter can and load side wires if underground or if overhead the electrician installs everything except the meter itself.  Roly
(07-02-2023, 07:41 AM)Roly Wrote: Have the power company come out and check the meter box out. Looks like the cover on the meter is cracked.   It doesn't need to be checked today but my concerns are the meter terminal blocks which the meter plugs into are plastic.   If they are broken but staying in place now, no problem until someone goes to remove the meter and the line wires are still attached and goes to ground and it shorts out .   Roly

Contractor supplies the box everywhere ive been. Power company supplies the meter