Chain Drill?
Been working on rehabbing such a thing....stripped it down to most of the parts...Jaws for the chuck..

It did have all it's springs, but...

Lacked the washer to push the jaws up into the cone of the shell....Tried this size washer...still issues..

A before and after on the right...the correct size on the left.

Might be too small of a bit, for this...even the Breast Drill has bigger bits..but, the same model chuck..

Makes sense, as Goodell Pratt made both of these...

Different bit...time for a test drive?

Since I do have a Goodell Pratt Brace drill, might as well use it.   Drill bit is just a normal 3/8" bit...

Wrap the chain around a post..

Pad at the top of the brace goes on my belly button..

So all I have to do is crank the wrist handle....

As the chain drill will push the drill bit for you....there is a rotation selector knob..

I had it set a "1" rotation....before the chain drill will advance into the post.....can be set up to 3 rotations...

This is the Goodell Pratt Co. No. 1080 Automatic Feed Chain Drill..seems to work as advertised....now just need to find a place to store this complicated machine,,,as I will leave the Brace Drill attached...
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Thank you for the education.  I lead a very sheltered life and had no idea such a critter existed.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Very interesting. I also had never heard of this tool. You seem to find all of the interesting things.
Always wondered how those things worked.