upgrade rockwell band saw to 1 1/2 hp
I was looking at that one. I noticed a couple people said that the magnet wasn't strong enough. have you had an issue with the magnet on yours?
Tom
(11-10-2023, 03:18 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I just ordered this one for my lathe, and I have another on my drill press. Plenty of light and the switch is on the lamp head (instead of being somewhere in the power cord) making it a little easier to manage. The on I do have on my bandsaw is the same model, except it has that switch in the power cord...still works as well, except for the switch not being as esy to reach.
I was looking at that one but a couple people mentioned that the magnet was not strong enough. Have you had any problem
with yours?
Tom
(11-11-2023, 06:21 PM)Foss Wrote: I was looking at that one but a couple people mentioned that the magnet was not strong enough. Have you had any problem
with yours?

I received and installed the new motor. Also, upgraded and mad more accessible the power switch. So far seems to run well!

Tom
Looks nice - you have a plywood table on that saw?

Doug
(11-12-2023, 08:56 PM)Tapper Wrote: Looks nice - you have a plywood table on that saw?

Doug

Yes. I saw the design for that table on You Tube. I fits on top of the regular table and allows me to use a mitre gauge for the fence (which can easily be adjusted for drift).
Tom
(11-11-2023, 06:21 PM)Foss Wrote: I was looking at that one but a couple people mentioned that the magnet was not strong enough. Have you had any problem
with yours?

None whatsoever. It could be that there is some variably in the magnets the manufacturer uses (just guessing). One thing about ordering from Amazon, get one and try it...if it's not to your liking return it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-11-2023, 10:04 PM)Foss Wrote: I received and installed the new motor. Also, upgraded and mad more accessible the power switch. So far seems to run well!

Been following this with interest, as I have a similar saw in my "someday will get to it area" that I want to use for resawing.
How do you like that dust collection pickup in the bottom wheel cover door?
Mark Singleton

Bene vivendo est optimum vindictae

The Laws of Physics do not care about your Politics   -  Me
(11-12-2023, 10:36 PM)Foss Wrote: Yes. I saw the design for that table on You Tube. I fits on top of the regular table and allows me to use a mitre gauge for the fence (which can easily be adjusted for drift).

If you are adjusting for drift then your saw is not set up properly.  Drift adjustable fences are a marketing ploy for those who won't take the time to get their saw to cut straight.  While it may be an acceptable crutch for ripping when a blade starts to get dull on one side, a blade that drifts is useless for crosscutting using the miter gage.  

The manual for your saw may not address how to set up the saw properly.  If so, download nearly any bandsaw manual from Grizzly and follow the instructions.  

John
(11-13-2023, 08:08 AM)MarkSingleton Wrote:   Been following this with interest, as I have a similar saw in my "someday will get to it area" that I want to use for resawing.
How do you like that dust collection pickup in the bottom wheel cover door?

You can't see it real well in this post, but I also have a 2 1/2" hose connection that comes in right under the blade insert. I have not cut a lot of material since this dust collection modification, but between the two hoses, it seems to do a reasonable job. I also added a brush to the tire.
Tom
Quote:If you are adjusting for drift then your saw is not set up properly.  Drift adjustable fences are a marketing ploy for those who won't take the time to get their saw to cut straight.  While it may be an acceptable crutch for ripping when a blade starts to get dull on one side, a blade that drifts is useless for crosscutting using the miter gage.  
This is utter rubbish.
Yes

All blades have/ produce drift.   If you set you saw up by adjusting the table to compensate for it and then your blade dulls or you change to a different blade - then ya gotta adjust your table again !  

WHICH TAKES A HECK OF A LOT LONGER THAN ADJUSTING ONE OF THOSE PLOY FENCES !