Any Banggood hand tool buyers here?
Every time I hear someone talking about Precision this or Precision that.....I have to keep reminding myself....I am working with WOOD....some of which can MOVE at the slightest change in humidity....usually the only times I really NEED as much precision as some talk about, is IF I am working with metal....even then, Temp. of the metal can change the size of a metal part....and not all metals move the same way......Just ask an Ironworker erecting Red  or Gray Iron, some time....

I am sure this crew was NOT concerned about 0.0005" Precision..

Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(01-17-2024, 07:30 PM)camp10 Wrote: T-type ruler

Woodworking square

I'd love to get these in imperial.

I have that exact T-type ruler and love it. I get rhe fact that you want imperial but with the metric markings, wouldn't they be close enough? Does anyone really care if a piece of furniture is within a 1/16" or 1 mm? Just a thought.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
(01-18-2024, 08:15 PM)museumguy Wrote: I have that exact T-type ruler and love it. I get rhe fact that you want imperial but with the metric markings, wouldn't they be close enough? Does anyone really care if a piece of furniture is within a 1/16" or 1 mm? Just a thought.

Have you built anything in both systems? I don't want to..... I've occasionally seen a combination of dimensions on drawings which has to drive a perfectionist batty. Does Oregon still require all gov'mt submittals in metric? A Canadian Architect I knew went ballistic when a jurisdiction he wanted a permit from demanded metric. [He was old, really old.] He told them they had to use USA parts and those were Imperial. 

Anyway, flip your rule any time you want.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(01-24-2024, 08:07 PM)hbmcc Wrote: Have you built anything in both systems? I don't want to..... I've occasionally seen a combination of dimensions on drawings which has to drive a perfectionist batty. Does Oregon still require all gov'mt submittals in metric? A Canadian Architect I knew went ballistic when a jurisdiction he wanted a permit from demanded metric. [He was old, really old.] He told them they had to use USA parts and those were Imperial. 

Anyway, flip your rule any time you want.

As a matter of fact, I built an entire home office with my new layout tools. The carcass was in imperial but I used the metric tools to layout the hardware and I found it easier for me to build the drawer boxes using metric dimensions and layout tools. I've been using metric on/off for over 35 years. Usually, it's related to hardware. This is the first time that I used solely metric dimensions when making drawer boxes. For me, it was easier and everything worked perfectly. 

Some of the layout tools that I purchased came in both imperial and metric. I'm glad that I bought both versions, it helped a lot.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry