Under mount or top mount sink for kitchen
We had as under mount SS at the last house, and it was such a mess of adhesive under the sink I can't imagine having to crawl in there and clean it up if we'd wanted to replace it.  And there always gunk at the rim.  It just looked like hell.  I've seen some that looked good, so I guess it comes down to installation.

I prefer a top mount, but somebody that can't caulk can make a proper mess with a tube of silicone.
With out a doubt, undermount for me.
100% Undermount, we moved from out rental (top mount SS) to our perm home a few months ago (undermount) Night and Day better. As for replacement - who here has ever replaced a sink and not the tops?
(12-12-2023, 10:04 AM)vernonator Wrote: 100% Undermount, we moved from out rental (top mount SS) to our perm home a few months ago (undermount) Night and Day better. As for replacement - who here has ever replaced a sink and not the tops?

That's been mentioned more than once, and I have actually done it (twice). the first was to remove a hideous orange triple bowl sink and replace it with a SS model. The second was a SS sink that actually developed a hole in it...I think that happened because we recycle all our cans. They first sit in the sink for a while upside down before I throw them into the recycle bin. My guess is the acid in the soft drinks ate a hole in the steel over time. It's a given this wasn't one of the higher quality SS sinks. Also some of the newer sinks are made of solid surface materials (like Corian) and they can crack given the right mistreatment.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Last house we had an undermount ss sink, and yes there was some crud at the rim.

The countertop where this sink will be is 18 feet long. I want to get things right as that’s a lot of stone to have to replace!
VH07V  
I have actually replaced sinks w/out replacing the countertops. I also have rentals so I have a lot of sinks, which kind of makes me an outlier. I'll give you my advice as a homeowner not a landlord.

Undermount all day long. SS is my preference over stone or clay products*

*One of the undermounts I had to replace was in my house, big clay farmhouse (apron front) sink meets crock-pot dropped from counter height equals huge crack in sink after less than one year. The crock-pot was easy to replace. The sink wasn't as bad as I thought, but the cost of the sink itself hurt a little. All because I was too cheap to buy the $100 wire rack for the bottom of the sink that prevents this from happening. At least it was me who dropped the crock pot so I could only be mad at myself. Anyway, SS can absorb a little hit here and there and worst you'll get is a ding. I'm used to the wire rack now but without is better as you can just wipe down the bottom of the sink any time and the 15 seconds it takes to remove the wire rack is just enough to cause me to not do this as much as I should.

Perfect sink (to me) is a single bowl, apron front, under-mount, SS sink with a garbage disposal. Before anyone shoots me, I'll concede that garbage disposals can be more trouble than they're worth if they're not used sparingly and with a little forethought.
(12-11-2023, 03:16 PM)EightFingers Wrote: I like undermount for the looks but it’s a lot harder to replace if it needs to be replaced. Top mount is easier to replace but doesn’t look as “clean”. 
Any thoughts?
Why do you think it's harder to replace an under mount ?
Confused

To me (all things being equal) they are the same amount of work or hassle.
(12-12-2023, 04:26 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: Why do you think it's harder to replace an under mount ?
Confused

To me (all things being equal) they are the same amount of work or hassle.

How can it be 'equal' when you don't have to be inside a cabinet on your back to get the top mount out??
Definitely under mount.  I wouldn't have anything else.  Top mount is so 1970's.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
(12-12-2023, 03:43 PM)ajkoontz Wrote: I have actually replaced sinks w/out replacing the countertops. I also have rentals so I have a lot of sinks, which kind of makes me an outlier. I'll give you my advice as a homeowner not a landlord.

Undermount all day long. SS is my preference over stone or clay products*

*One of the undermounts I had to replace was in my house, big clay farmhouse (apron front) sink meets crock-pot dropped from counter height equals huge crack in sink after less than one year. The crock-pot was easy to replace. The sink wasn't as bad as I thought, but the cost of the sink itself hurt a little. All because I was too cheap to buy the $100 wire rack for the bottom of the sink that prevents this from happening. At least it was me who dropped the crock pot so I could only be mad at myself. Anyway, SS can absorb a little hit here and there and worst you'll get is a ding. I'm used to the wire rack now but without is better as you can just wipe down the bottom of the sink any time and the 15 seconds it takes to remove the wire rack is just enough to cause me to not do this as much as I should.

Perfect sink (to me) is a single bowl, apron front, under-mount, SS sink with a garbage disposal. Before anyone shoots me, I'll concede that garbage disposals can be more trouble than they're worth if they're not used sparingly and with a little forethought.

Our new house has a two-bowl clay farmhouse sink (undermount)....this is a good reminder for me to get a couple of those wire racks
Smile