Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,413
» Latest member: lewisstevey7
» Forum threads: 65,014
» Forum posts: 1,006,709

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 321 online users.
» 24 Member(s) | 294 Guest(s)
Bing, Google, BarnstCJ, FrankAtl, T.Hooks, Bill Holt, Mr_Mike, harderhandyman, scottyc, perchriver, Tapper, wing nut, brad jansen, lincmercguy, DickA, Roly, tooltim57, EatenByLimestone, weedsnager, PVW, cbop

Latest Threads
Bench Project
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: Bill Holt
2 minutes ago
» Replies: 6
» Views: 182
Wood Haul found on the si...
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: fishhh4
3 hours ago
» Replies: 6
» Views: 249
Whatever happened to Dere...
Last Post: Tapper
8 hours ago
» Replies: 7
» Views: 289
Retractable Electrical Ho...
Forum: Woodworking Power Tools
Last Post: shifty
10 hours ago
» Replies: 9
» Views: 479
Glen-Drake Joinery Saw FO...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: brad jansen
10 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 94
New Shop Photos - Randy C
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: Randy C
Yesterday, 06:35 PM
» Replies: 14
» Views: 296
Lie-Nielsen Router Planes...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: TABlank
Yesterday, 03:33 PM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 103
TWO Jointers
Last Post: Pedder
Yesterday, 02:38 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 85
Some saws (on request)
Last Post: Pedder
Yesterday, 02:37 PM
» Replies: 7
» Views: 185
Stanley #80
Last Post: stav
Yesterday, 01:04 PM
» Replies: 9
» Views: 284

Troubles with Routed Bowl Templates - Woodsmith #229
Posted by: Dust-r-US - 12-17-2017, 09:16 PM - Forum: Woodworking - No Replies

Has anyone built any of the routed bowls as described in Woodsmith #229 (Feb/Mar 2017)? I am trying to build the "Scrap Wood Bowl" per the details in the online extras:

http://www.woodsmith.com/magazine/extras...and-bowls/

There are a number of errors on the Handle Template and perhaps the others as well. For example: The handle template has a height dimension of 6"3/4 but it also has arcs of 6" radius that extend from the top edge to 11/16 off the bottom. So from that the template should be 5" 5/16 high. Those arcs are also shown overlapping but they can't overlap given where they are placed. 

I have contacted Woodsmith about this and they are checking into it but I don't know if they will get back to me in time. I'm trying to build this as a Christmas present for my wife and time is running out. I have drawn out several different designs on paper and traced the path the router bit would take with each one but I'm not getting there. If anyone here has experience with this project or has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Print this item

Amana Tool Forstner Bits
Posted by: Cecil - 12-17-2017, 08:06 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (1)

I posted previously about the Roman Carbide bits and their excessive run-out.  I quickly returned them and purchase the Amana Tool Timberline Forster bits.  They are much better.  They cut clean shoulders.  They are sized accurately when measured with calipers and they are minus the run-out I had on the Roman Carbide bits.  I think my son will be happy with his gift.

Print this item

Upping My Dust Collection System Game
Posted by: Danny in Houston - 12-17-2017, 07:53 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (26)

Moved into this rented space about six months ago, and I've finally begun installation of a proper dust collection system.  The space has very high ceilings, and I'm working alone, so installation was a bit challenging.  I'm using galvanized duct venting from Home Depot.  At this point I've connected my planer and jointer, and the system is working great.  Looks a bit clunky, but it's off the ground and very functional.  

I have 8-inch duct from the collector, and about half way I reduce to 6-inch, and near the equipment I go down to 5-inch for the planer and 4-inch to the jointer.  

With blast gates closed I actually collapse the 8-inch near the collector, did not expect that.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

Kitchen Island Help
Posted by: Halfathumb - 12-17-2017, 06:05 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (2)

[attachment=6404]
This is my new island. I'm using Blum Tandem Plus Full Extinction slides.  I'm afraid I made a wrong decision in the construction process.
I screwed the glides to the face frame with anticipation of making the drawer sides fit to the drawer face with BDT. But when I really got into making the drawer faces with dados around the inside of the face so it will fit over the outside of the drawer opening. Realized the drawer probably won't work properly.
I can rather easily fill in the 3/8" gap behind the face frame and move the glides back a little.

My question is to those who have experience with these glides. Do I make the drawer sides exactly 21 1/2" as the entire glide is or just the 19 1/2" as the sliding part goes?

I know this is a silly question but I don't to waste more time & lumber.

Thanks, Jim

Print this item

Rockwell planer
Posted by: pinky - 12-17-2017, 06:00 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (10)

My craigslist ad...

https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/tls/d/d...78120.html

Print this item

Wood Identification
Posted by: gboot - 12-17-2017, 12:29 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (11)

About three years ago there was a piece of driftwood washed up on a NC beach. Most of a tree about 40 feet long. Someone took a chain saw to it and cut it up in manageable pieces. I carted one of the pieces off the beach it’s been in my garage/basement . I’m in the proc s of sawing it up. Following are some pictures. I would appreciate your help in figuring out the species.

[Image: AC85E855-453D-4A77-8459-B858CA4E62E3.jpeg]
[Image: B3BB4F92-4775-4DBF-8F71-CD133EC8332E.jpeg]

Print this item

Video from 1940
Posted by: navakahn - 12-17-2017, 01:25 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (13)

I ran across this video from the 1940s and thought it might be of interest to others on the forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGAyBdUxWaU

jason

Print this item

Some Wands
Posted by: crokett™ - 12-16-2017, 11:35 PM - Forum: Woodturning - Replies (6)

Zebrawood and spalted maple.  The one on the right the only tool I used was my straight chisel.  It turned out better than I expected but not quite as good as I wanted.  I need to re-learn finishing cuts.    I'm also still trying to figure out why it's easier for me to use my straight chisel than my skew.  I'm wondering if it's my skew has a relatively long angle.  most of the turning videos I see the bevels on their skews are shorter.  

These will be gifts for my kids and some friends of theirs.  I still have one more to make.  I'm going to get some drawer pulls for the handle ends.

[Image: jt1umjuNnTQDuUmbTlYVO9lkV2O7_BgEQypjVnSr...06-no?.jpg]

Print this item

How to Drawbar for Mandrel
Posted by: VanderLaan - 12-16-2017, 11:31 PM - Forum: Woodturning - Replies (2)

Figured it out. Cannot delete post.

Print this item

Rockin Dragon
Posted by: Woodshop - 12-16-2017, 10:19 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (15)

My son Built this for his son. That's cool in itself, as I built things for him when he was a little guy, so goes the circle of life
Cool
I think he has a good imagination and knows how to uses it.. he turned a rocking horse pattern into a dragon. (he's into dungeons and dragons)
Cherry ,ash ,walnut and some bloodwood for the eyes. My grandson is going to love it. He will have to get this last' otherwise he won't open any other gifts
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh 

Don (aka Grandpa)
Cool

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.