Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,413
» Latest member: lewisstevey7
» Forum threads: 64,999
» Forum posts: 1,006,453

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 595 online users.
» 19 Member(s) | 573 Guest(s)
Facebook, Bing, Google, firefighter, J-W-P, cbygeorge, goaliedad, tablesawtom, camp10, MudDuck, packerguy®, brnhornt, Mr_Mike, T.Hooks, Tony Z, MarkSLSmith, fredhargis

Latest Threads
Bench Project
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: EatenByLimestone
2 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 70
Whatever happened to Dere...
Last Post: Tony Z
5 hours ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 65
Workbench
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: jteneyck
7 hours ago
» Replies: 32
» Views: 1,029
Forrest DK10244G Dado Kin...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: JosephP
Yesterday, 06:53 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 254
Lumber Run...resupplied f...
Last Post: EdL
Yesterday, 05:32 PM
» Views: 73
Greenlee slick handle len...
Last Post: Blacky's Boy
Yesterday, 04:21 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 122
The Plane has landed
Last Post: Tapper
Yesterday, 11:10 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 348
Some saws (on request)
Last Post: Tapper
Yesterday, 11:06 AM
» Views: 69
Just hanging around?
Last Post: bandit571
Yesterday, 08:31 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 67
Stanley 4 1/2 flst bottom...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: tablesawtom
Yesterday, 08:02 AM
» Views: 239

getting back to playing with lathe -- material questions
Posted by: Rob Young - 04-25-2019, 09:53 AM - Forum: Woodturning - Replies (9)

OK, so about a year ago I picked up a Griz G5979 for CHEAP. That's the one that is sold under several different names including through Harbor Freight. Gets above average reviews based on price vs. features. And seriously, I got it CHEAP! Needed a little work, somebody had jammed the reeves pulleys (why I got it cheap) but that's been sorted.

I've already got a smattering of lathe tools, grinder, etc. and I can do a decent enough bit of sharpening.  I have a friend who has boxes and boxes of older tools he purchased at auctions and has told me to come by and sort through so I'm probably set for life.  

I have had a midi lathe for years and did teach myself to turn small bowls on it. So general tooling and basics like chucks & PPE are also sorted.

My task now is sourcing materials because I'd like to experiment with bit larger bowl and platter turning. Goblets and boxes too I suppose.

In no particular order with questions inserted into list,

* Free wood - watch the curbs and pick up off-cuts from tree trimming.  
   Other than a small chainsaw (probably go with an electric) and associated PPE, what else might I want to pick up on the 2nd hand market?  
   I do have a 14" BS with 6" riser and I'll be getting a few alternate blades. Good blades for green wood suggestions?

* eBay - bowl blanks. Bit of a crap-shoot but does anybody have a seller they recommend?

* commercial sources - Cook Woods? Woodcraft (especially in-store when they are cleaning out inventory)? There is also a place about 1hr drive from me that acts as the retail side of a larger lumber operation and Jeff at Metro Hardwoods has been good about keeping off-cuts and blanks in the store.

* private sources - I'm going to make nice with a few of the local tree-trimming services (see "free" above) and I already have contacts through my local woodworking club (www.kcwoodworkersguild.org) and if I make it past 6 mo and still enjoy playing with the Griz, probably join the KC Woodturners too.

* efficiency bowls, i.e. glued up blanks from planks

* segmented bowls

Other sources for material I'm not thinking about?  

Which species in commercially prepared blanks make good choices for a beginner (besides cheap)? Ash, soft maple, myrtle, spanish cedar?

Locally there are plenty of Bradford Pears that drop during storm season. Also lots of soft maple species around along with walnut and oaks (pin and a few varieties of red being most common). Many sycamores around town along with elms and red gums. The usual suspects in the evergreen families are present.

At the current time, I really don't have a lot of spare room for storing rough-turned bowls so I'm leaning a bit more toward dried blanks (or at least close to dry) and making up blanks from planks.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Print this item

WTB Delta Uni-Fence Rail
Posted by: wjt - 04-25-2019, 09:43 AM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (4)

Looking for a Delta P.N. 36-150 rail for a Uni-Fence.

Thanks, Bill

Print this item

Mower for small yard
Posted by: brianwelch - 04-25-2019, 09:00 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (27)

Daughter and SIL just purchased a house in the Bay area (Calif). ~6,000 sf property. Looking for a recommendation for a mower for a housewarming gift. Was considering battery, but my experience with 3/4 acre has only been gas, 21" Honda then bumped up to 48" walk behind...
Suggestions welcomed ...
Thanks in advance

Print this item

Through dowels vs blind dowels in plywood
Posted by: Cooler - 04-25-2019, 08:13 AM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (25)

Has anyone ever used through dowels for constructing a cabinet box from 3/4" plywood?

In my mind it will be stronger than blind dowels and for face frame construction the fasteners will be hidden by an end panel or another cabinet or a wall.  

It would also be much faster with half the number of holes to drill.

And clamping will be easier with each dowel put in singly it will nor require much pressure.  

Any thoughts?

Print this item

Void underneath concrete slab?
Posted by: Woodtourer - 04-25-2019, 07:35 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (8)

Has an tackled this as a DIY project? I have ,what sounds like a hollow, underneath a garage slab.

Print this item

Your 3 HP DC's power consumption?
Posted by: SpiderDave - 04-24-2019, 04:06 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (13)

Surely this has come up, but I couldn't find much.  I have a 3HP dust collector and nothing to compare to, as this is my first.  I was wondering from those of you who have dust collectors out there.  If you don't mind,... what DC unit do you have, how many hrs average does it run a month and what would you guesstimate is your cost of running it?  I know that might be a difficult question to answer considering there are other tools and lights etc running too, so how would you know?  Maybe if you already all of that previously and either didn't have a DC or worked outside instead before you had any dust collection?  Did you notice much of a difference in your electricity bill when you started using a dust collection system later on?  BTW, isn't it over all cheaper to run 220 than 120?

Print this item

10% Coupon
Posted by: SpiderDave - 04-24-2019, 03:12 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (6)

I have a 10% coupon for Grizzly, one time use Valid 04/23/2019 - 04/26/2019, I don't think it's exclusive to me (no guarantees) but if you can use it before the time runs out, PM me and I'll send you the code. If your buying something big, it might pay for shipping? Or at east save you something.  I'll post when it's gone.  Have a good one!

Print this item

This was supposed to be a stepstool
Posted by: Mike Brady - 04-24-2019, 12:59 PM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (16)

I just made this little stool for the kitchen pantry to allow my wife to reach the upper cabinets.  When my grandson arrived today he immediately spied it and now it's a desk and/or chair.  There has been a big board of 14" wide white pine in my stash, and it allowed me to have two sides without joined panels, plus the steps.  It was a fun rainy day project.
[Image: IMG-0391.jpg]gas stations open 24 hrs

Print this item

Painting cedar question
Posted by: TFM - 04-24-2019, 10:51 AM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (8)

I am going to build some framed cedar lattice panels to skirt my pier and beam house, and paint them.   I've read that if you are going to paint cedar that you must prime it with an oil based primer first before painting.  Is this true?  I've also been told recently that is an old way of thinking and that it's hard to even find oil based primer and that todays' water based primer will do the job just fine.  I want to get this right and not have the panels looking shabby in a year or two.  Anyone have any experience with painting cedar?

Print this item

Easter swap
Posted by: Arlin Eastman - 04-24-2019, 10:37 AM - Forum: Woodturning - Replies (2)

Rodney and I both decided to do the Easter Egg swap and he way out did me.

Not only an egg but a mini bird house and my favorite wood of all time Big leaf maple burl and two cone shaped candied malted eggs which are my favorite besides brownies.   It had taken me 4 hours to eat both and I even paced myself. 
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh

I will take a pic of the burl later today but here is what Rodney made.

[attachment=18059]

[attachment=18058]

Yah he way out paced me and like I told him it is my first mini bird house and now I need to make them.
Yes
Yes

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.