Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Email:

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 53,413
» Latest member: lewisstevey7
» Forum threads: 65,001
» Forum posts: 1,006,461

Full Statistics

Online Users
There are currently 567 online users.
» 18 Member(s) | 546 Guest(s)
Facebook, Google, Bing, EdL, Tony Z, Jim, hughpgh1, Rod Torgeson, dejongs, camp10, TheCabinetmaker, lincmercguy, BarnstCJ, bpatters69, tablesawtom, BrettS, BrokenOlMarine

Latest Threads
Wood Haul found on the si...
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: bpatters69
8 minutes ago
» Replies: 0
» Views: 2
Workbench
Forum: Woodworking
Last Post: tablesawtom
18 minutes ago
» Replies: 33
» Views: 1,038
Bench Project
Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools
Last Post: EatenByLimestone
2 hours ago
» Replies: 1
» Views: 70
Whatever happened to Dere...
Last Post: Tony Z
5 hours ago
» Replies: 2
» Views: 66
Forrest DK10244G Dado Kin...
Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell
Last Post: JosephP
Yesterday, 06:53 PM
» Replies: 2
» Views: 254
Lumber Run...resupplied f...
Last Post: EdL
Yesterday, 05:32 PM
» Views: 73
Greenlee slick handle len...
Last Post: Blacky's Boy
Yesterday, 04:21 PM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 122
The Plane has landed
Last Post: Tapper
Yesterday, 11:10 AM
» Replies: 13
» Views: 348
Some saws (on request)
Last Post: Tapper
Yesterday, 11:06 AM
» Views: 69
Just hanging around?
Last Post: bandit571
Yesterday, 08:31 AM
» Replies: 0
» Views: 68

HANDTOOLS: Boring; Braces, Eggbeaters, Bit Sets, etc.
Posted by: Admiral - 11-13-2019, 07:23 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (9)

As promised, here's a second installment of quality user tools that I would own. In a day or so I'll be posting planes, check out what's left in my prior post.
Initially, all prices are plus shipping, and I don't have paypal or any other EFT, so payment by USPS money order please.

Descriptions are in order of the pics found in a Flickr album, here:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N0...1770385186

Let's start with braces. First up are two yankee 2101s, without doubt the best brace ever made, nothing comparable now on the market. From left to right, a 12" Throw 2101A,SOLD made after Stanley acquired North Bros; then a 10" throw 2101  SOLD , original North Bros Manufacture, this one marked "Bell System" and you know ATT only bought the best for its linemen. These are not cosmetically excellent, but you can't kill these braces, and they are both 100% mechanically, so with an apology for the loss of nickle plating, take your pick for $40 each, an excellent value.
Teaser pic:

[Image: 49061398318_2c6139e7e6_b.jpg]

Next, from left to right, a 10" throw vintage Craftsman SOLD (looks like Millers Falls manufacture), crisp, good wood, enclosed ratchet, great brace; next is a 10" Stanley 945, SOLD venerable model, in very nice condition; both work like they should and are 100% mechanically, take your pick for $20. To the extreme left is a very handy 8" throw, nice size for controlled boring, Stanley #921, SOLD not often found and I don't find many of these, unique ratcheting knob/wheel, $25.  Teaser pic:

[Image: 49061398243_18e97c2a0a_b.jpg]

Now for the eggbeaters; first up are a truly vintage Millers Falls #2, one of the best designs ever, this one is from the '20s, solid wood handle, chuck works like it should, bit storage in the handle, the model everyone wants. Missing side chef's knob, so that is the apology, smooth action, yours for $35. The one on the top is an early 50's vintage Stanley#624, very crisp, side knob, handle solid, smooth action and chuck excellent, will give good service in the shop, yours for $30. teaser pic:
[Image: 49061398168_d2daae0478_b.jpg]

Next are two Millers Falls #77 drills, one redder than the other, again, both have side handles, chuck works just as it should, wood solid. Take your pick for $23 each. teaser pic;  BOTH SOLD

[Image: 49061936231_14d488972b_b.jpg]

Next is a Stanley #59 Doweling Jig for use with brace bits, all original and complete with 6 sleeves, as well as the original manual (the box was totally trashed) but it was well kept by the owner. Rather crisp, excellent condition, yours for $35.  Pic:  SOLD
[Image: 49061909211_363ff15a4d_b.jpg]

Next are two Irwin #2 adjustable bits, these will drill holes from 7/8 to 3", very handy addition to your boring kit; one is a bit earlier in the original cardboard box , the other is in a plastic sleeve, they are identical, and both are in excellent condition complete with the two spur inserts. Take your pick for $22. Tell me if you want the box or plastic one.  BOTH SOLD Pic:
[Image: 49062131427_973b01160f_b.jpg]

Next up are bit sets. Now, all of these bits have flute life, and the lead screws are not buggered up; they have been well kept by the original owners. Check out the closeups of the flutes and lead screws. All are Irwin pattern bits (except in the wood box set, where I substituted a Jennings pattern bit as the #10 was missing). All will give good user service.

The first is a 'short' set of 6 bits in a sleeve roll. #5, 6, 8, 10, 12 and 14, most commonly used. Yours for $35.  SOLD Teaser pic:
[Image: 49061909151_6cd1f4bce9_b.jpg]

Next is a complete set - #4 through #16, in a plastic roll, mostly Irwin manufacture, a couple were of other manufacture that I filled in to make the set complete, but all were well cared for. Yours for $70.  SOLD Teaser pic:
[Image: 49062131717_e34b4fa1f4_b.jpg]

Last is a wooden boxed set of Irwin pattern bits, again, i filled in the #10 with a Jennings pattern (actually better than Irwin) as well as one or two others to make the set complete. Box is pretty ratty on the outside, but holds the bits, and does have the cool feature of a swing out drawer for the larger bits. Again, check out the closeups of the lead screws and flutes, and you'll see the value here. Yours for $70. SOLD Teaser pic:
[Image: 49061908836_0fb5de1ffb_b.jpg]

First PM with an unequivocal "I'll take it" gets priority. Remember, I don't have paypal, so payment by USPS money order please, unless I know you from the forum then checks are just fine, and please include your name and shipping address so I can print shipping labels and box up the tools or I lose track of all the orders, after all, I'm gettin' old

Quality tools that I would own, priced reasonably for users.
Thanks for looking.

Print this item

$57.80 for a kitchen cabinet knob
Posted by: Cooler - 11-13-2019, 04:09 PM - Forum: Home Improvement - Replies (9)

$57.80 for a kitchen cabinet knob marked down from $68.00 each.  I thought it had to be for a dozen knobs, but apparently not.

https://www.homeclick.com/lighting/52-90...-20723.htm

[Image: 1]
[Image: 1]

Print this item

Trimming kitchen island pedestal
Posted by: pfhlad0 - 11-13-2019, 07:41 AM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (21)

I am not a woodworker, a contractor, nor a building professional of any kind. I am a fairly handy homeowner looking for some help from those who are.

I recently had my kitchen redone. The pedestal on the island was dining height instead of counter height, so my contractor had to add 2×4’s to make it 5 inches taller, as you can see from the attached pictures. I now need to cover the exposed area so that I can paint it to match the rest of the pedestal. 

FYI — the height of the open area is about 5 inches. The diameter of the circle that needs covering is about 18 inches, making the circumference about 56 inches long.

Someone suggested 1/8″ plywood, but I’m not sure if it will bend (and hold) enough for my application.  Plus, I could only find a 4-foot long piece, so I’d have to piece two sections together to cover the entire 56-inch circumference, which I’d rather not do.

I’ve been waiting for months for my contractor to come back and do it, but I’m frustrated and cannot wait any longer. I’m hoping someone here can give me a suggestion on how to finish it myself. 

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

HANDTOOLS: Chisels, Saws & Sets, Marking/Measuring, Starrett, B&S
Posted by: Admiral - 11-12-2019, 09:46 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (6)

Ok, its been a while. I've been haunting the flea markets and estate sales and have a few very worthy tools to offer up. This is the first of a few sale posts, stay tuned for Braces, bits and eggbeaters, as well as planes.

Many pictures can be seen at a Flickr album here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N0...1756570797[url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/9433588@N08/albums/72157711756570797][/url]
All prices quoted are plus shipping at actual cost, no markup. I don't have paypal, see info at the end of the post.

So, in order in which the pics appear, here's the stuff....

Chisels: from left to right... Blue Chip Marples from Sheffield UK, not the chinese Irwin stuff you find nowadays, 1/4, 3/4 and 1", great shape, no apologies, normal wear. Sold as a set for $35, can't beat that with a stick. SOLD

Next grouping of chisels are all vintage, a 1" that I couldn't find a mark on, a 7/8 Keen Kutter, a 1/2 Buck Bros marked cast steel; a 3/8 marked Bentleys Cast Steel, an unmarked 1/4 and 1/8 Issac Graves Cast Steel; take your pick for $10 each, if you are quick on the draw and beat out those who take onesies and twosies, you can have them all for $50; again, great value here in a variety of sizes.

The last two long ones good for paring are a Pexto 1/4, and a Witherby 3/4; $18 each, and if you're quick, take the pair for $30.SOLD

inally, to go with the chisels, here's a Green Tweed No1 (one pound head) iron and rawhide mallet, very little use, almost new and in great condition. Great for striking chisels. I don't see these very often, yours for $25.SOLD

Teaser pic of all the chisels and mallet:
[Image: 49056176668_8948421efc_b.jpg]

Now for the saws. Here's a match pair of Disston D-23s, 8pt crosscut, 5 1/2 pt rip; handles on both are solid with no chips, plates in great shape and polished smooth and each has been sharpened by me. Medallions date them to the late 40's, early 50's, Philadelphia manufacture. Straight and ready to be put to wood. $75 each, and again, if you're quick, take them both for $140. Two very nice saws. BOTH SOLD

We now have a '96-1917 Disston 8", two nut, 15pt backsaw, handle shows minimum wear given its age, zero chips and solid handle, actually, an exceptional handle with no apologies at all; plate straight and in good shape, great joinery saw. I did not sharpen this saw, and it will need a touch up. No real apologies for this century old saw which still has a lifetime of use left in it. Yours for $45, a really nice joinery saw, truly vintage from Disston's golden period. SOLD

Wrapping up the saw category are two quality saw sets. On the left is one of the better all around saw sets, a Millers Falls #214; I buy all of these that I find, and this one is in particularly nice condition; solid set that will give excellent service; yours for $35. SOLD On the right is a Stanley #42, the workhorse of saw sets, because I sharpen saws, I have one of both, and both are recommended highly. Take the #42 for $25.

Teaser pic of saws and sets:
[Image: 49056176473_9941c3423e_b.jpg]

[Image: 49056175908_1f9c2e8629_b.jpg]

Now for the marking and measuring category. I have a number of quality dividers, from left to right in the pic..... a Brown & Sharpe solid leg #800 4" size SOLD; a Starrett 6" hermaphrodite divider SOLD, with fine adjustment mechanism; a Starrett 6" divider SOLD; a Union Tool 6" divider SOLD, a Millers Falls 6"SOLD and another Union Tool 8" divider. All quality makers, take your pick for $15 each. Great for layout, especially dovetails, and the hermaphrodite is good for scribing both straight and curved edge work. You can always need a few more dividers, and at this price you get quality vintage stuff.

Also, here's a Stanley #18 bevel; one of Stanley's better designs, this one is in great condition, yours for $25 (and if you buy 3 or more dividers, its $20).

Teaser pic of the dividers and bevel

[Image: 49056687786_1541588836_b.jpg]

Last but certainly not least are some squares. All these squares have been checked against my reference Starrett machinists square and they measure up. First up top is a Starrett 24" scale, satin finish with hardened Bates head and centering head. New, a Starrett 24" scale without heads goes for $120. Apology is that they guy drilled a hang hole in one end, but did a good job without screwing it up. Markings remain clear, again with a satin finish. These don't come up often, yours for the value price of $80; again, google away and price 'em new with heads, north of $300, just sayin...SOLD QUICKLY

Below, from left to right, first a Bates, excellent maker, 9" combination square with hardened head and scale. Great intermediate size, very handy for layout. Yours for $35.

On the right is a very, very crispy, vintage (my guess is late 50's when Sears still gave a darn about quality) Craftsman-branded combination square with 3 heads, including centering head and protractor head. Craftsman likely sourced this from Brown & Sharp from the looks of it, but in any event its in excellent condition and reeks of quality. Again, it checks out against my reference square. Price comparable tools and you'll see that $80 is a true bargain. This one will go very quickly, along with the 24" square, so pull the trigger if you've got an itch for it. SOLD

Teaser pic of the squares

[Image: 49056905012_b91f1539da_b.jpg]

Now, I don't have paypal or any other EFT, so payment by USPS money order please, unless I know you from the forum, then checks are just dandy. First PM with an unequivocal "I'll take it" gets priority, and please include your shipping address so I can quote shipping and print up mailing labels, or we end up trading PMs for this info.
As always, quality tools that I would own, priced reasonably so they get put back to use. Keep an eye out for my "Boring" tool post with drills, braces and bits, and one with some bench and block planes.
Thanks for looking.

Print this item

excalibur sliding table
Posted by: tablesawtom - 11-12-2019, 07:47 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (3)

I also have an Excalibur sliding table for a table saw. The one that if the fence is in the back you can cross sut 48 inches. I didn't take pictures because it is an after thought but only asking $300 and not $1000. again pick up only. But I was asked so here they are.

[attachment=21720]

[attachment=21721]

Thanks for looking

Tom

Print this item

Speaking of Hinges
Posted by: MsNomer - 11-12-2019, 07:30 PM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (7)

When I made the counter in my van, I used one set of bright brass sewing table hinges.  I am remaking the counter and now need four sets.  The ones I bought in 2016 are 2-3/4” x 1-3/8” x 1/8”.  They are quite sturdy with no wiggle.  

I couldn’t find any info from my original order, so I went to google.  I ordered a Selby hinge that looked identical in the photos and had the same L x W dimensions.  It is crappy—1/16” thick, loose jointed, apparently stamped with no smoothing.

Does anyone have a source for high quality sewing table hinges?

Print this item

Fence for Griz G0490 Jointer --Free if you pay shipping
Posted by: shoottmx - 11-12-2019, 01:36 PM - Forum: Tool Swap N' Sell - Replies (1)

This fence is bowed about .040" end to end. Otherwise it has a few in use scratches and discoloration spots. I elected to replace it with a new one from Grizzly. It's part no G04900047, $81 plus freight from Griz. Yours for the asking if you'll pay the shipping. It weighs 32# the box is about 11x11x38". Shipping from 04011 Shoot me a pm if you're interested.

Thanks for looking, 

g

Print this item

Drill Press Vibration Issue...
Posted by: darita - 11-12-2019, 12:25 PM - Forum: Woodworking Power Tools - Replies (16)

I have a HF 10" drill press that has more vibration than I'd like.  With belts off, the motor runs smoothly.  There are 3 pulley assemblies.  The center assembly pivots, but also is loose enough to have some side-to-side flop...like the assembly flops not parallel with the other 2 assemblies.  Could the vibration be coming from that or is that flop in the design?  I'll try to post pics.
[Image: c1d4ebd3-700b-4529-9611-36ff45582c73-ori...fit=bounds][Image: 2de9131d-6e06-4041-83c2-7ba01cefa9e6-ori...fit=bounds]

Print this item

Toolswapmeet - Culver City, CA - 11/16
Posted by: Juss1 - 11-12-2019, 09:27 AM - Forum: Woodworking - Replies (1)

Also got an email from them saying there will be a demo on Shaper origin cnc and Rubio Monocoat.  Hope to see you guys there

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/tl...10588.html

November 16th. is the next Anderson Plywood Old Tool Swap Meet from 6:00 AM until Noon. The address is 4020 Sepulveda Blvd., Culver City, CA 90230. We start setting up at 4:30 AM. If you are new, wait until LAURA or JOHN get there because some areas are restricted. The Swap Meet will be held Rain or Shine. If it is raining, we set up inside Anderson Plywood.

Please DO NOT BRING trailers or oversized moving trucks. Most of the spaces can handle normal size pick-up trucks or vans. There are several new spots that require unloading your tools and then parking your vehicle in the Elks parking lot. If you only have a few tools, you can put them in Laura's space.

There will be Old Tools, Antique Tools, Good Quality User Tools plus Many Miscellaneous Items including some small general antiques and collectibles. Please make sure the items you are selling include at least 50% to 75% of tools or tool related items.

[Image: 00t0t_lC5fTmInYog_600x450.jpg]

[Image: 00v0v_fMos85BhxlK_600x450.jpg]

Print this item

Antique wooden planes questions
Posted by: stoppy - 11-12-2019, 09:13 AM - Forum: Woodworking Hand Tools - Replies (22)

Disclaimer -- I'm a woodturner attempting to learn flat stock woodworking.  My wife's father (he died before I met her) was an antique collector.  He had a large selection of wooden planes.  I'm also just getting back in my shop after a several year absence due to medical issues. (three heart attacks)

1. Are they worth restoring for use?  (Looking online I see their resale value is poor.)
2. If they are worth restoring where do I begin?

Print this item

Product Recommendations

Here are some supplies and tools we find essential in our everyday work around the shop. We may receive a commission from sales referred by our links; however, we have carefully selected these products for their usefulness and quality.